Click to enlarge
There surely is one massive advantage to living in Australia, i.e. the time difference. We are one of the first nations to see the sun and one of the first to see the moon too. On this occasion the orientation of the Globe has allowed me to scoop a bit of news regarding Korean based manufacturer, Raon Digital.
Raon Digital rose to fame by launching the Vega UPPC (Ultra Portable PC) in mid 2006. While not officially a UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC) the Vega still ticked a lot of boxes for users, i.e. resistive touchscreen, full Windows XP Operating System, 7 hr battery life and more. Where it fell dramatically short was its lack of inbuilt Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and its poor array of input methods, namely no keyboard.
On this occasion it seems as though Raon Digital has heard many of the requests made by first generation owners of UMPC and UPPC as they have gone back the drawing board with their latest release. So it is with great pleasure that I can provide specifications and pictures of the new Raon Digital entrant, dubbed the EVERUN! (Cool name)
· 4.8” Wide VGA 800 x 480 resolution / Touch screen / Auto rotation & brightness control
· AMD 600MHz Geode LX900 Processor or 500MHz LX800
· Microsoft Windows XP Home
· Various storage options including a 60G / 30G HDD and/or 6G SSD
· Integrated full QWERTY keypad
· Integrated 802.11b/g WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0
· Integrated HSDPA with Data & Voice or WiMAX (optional)
· Over 7 hours of real battery life with the standard battery (Max 12 hours with large battery)
· Easy to hold or pocket (170(W) x 83(H) x 25(D)mm) 460-500g (with standard battery.
I’ve heard that the initial release will be targeted at the Korean market (obviously) in the middle of July with overseas markets to follow shortly after. I for one think this looks awesome. I still remember unboxing the Vega and just loving the screen quality and overall size and functionality of that device. The EVERUN looks far superior and will be worth a look at by any discerning buyer. The great news about Raon Digital is that often their devices are priced rather aggressively in the UMPC/UPPC market...so here's hoping.
Here is what the Raon Digital VP said:
“More information is available at our home page www.raondigital.com and also from the attached file. This new model will be available for delivery middle of July and the retail price will be fixed soon. You can see the actual working model at Computex (June 5~9, Taiwan) at AMD Booth (HALL 4, booth #TF1I+T105)
I hope you like this machine and do not hesitate to contact me for any question.”