Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Does your Slate have 4GB inside? Mine does.

A lot of you know that I have received the latest TabletKiosk offering named the Sahara Slate. The one I have is a device that will not be released as it has been made specifically as a Demo Unit for people like me…whatever that means. LOL. It is based on the same design as the i440D but instead of the Core Duo Processor it has the Celeron. The most unique feature of the i440D is that it offers (D)ual input, i.e. both pen and touch. While it does not do it simultaneously like the Lenovo X60 it does it via a button toggle – very clever.


Without going into too much details – as I will be doing a GottaBeMobile InkShow shortly – one additional benefit of this device is that you can slot in two sticks of 2GB and take the System total to 4GB of RAM! Which is exactly what I did today! This is not the first time I have taken a screw driver to a TabletKiosk device (See: Tablet PC Surgery) but it sure is one of the most exciting. So for your pleasure I have some naked photos to post, ala my mate Kevin C Tofel.


Operating Tablet: Step One

Incision made: Organs now exposed

Defunct patient waiting for Donor replacement

Microsurgery needed: second RAM slot on underbelly or mainboard

Patient making full recovery: 4GB stronger

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hugo, nice work =)
4 GB of Ram...wow...that's pretty much :)
Never even seen a notebook with 4 Gig of Ram...
..*just wondering* =)

...But one question in general :
The RAM-sticks, that you used, are these "normal" components that even fit in every Desktop PC?
I'm not sure, if I can use such RAM-sticks for my Samsung Q1 to upgrade it to 2 GB of RAM.

By the way I used your Hugometer to find out which device would fit to me :)
...and the Samsung Q1 was one of the top "models" and 'cause of its battery life I decided to buy a Smasung Q1P...so that I can upgrade it to 2 Gig of RAM, to use it for my university work which starts octobre this year =)

Sorry for my bad english, but til now I'm just a student who learns :)

Greetings from Germany to "downunder" =)

Julian =)

Paulie said...

The question is, can it handle 4 GB of RAM ? According to some guides, with 32bit OS you can not use much more than 2 GB of RAM (with PAE enabled it is 3 GB of RAM) http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/544193-can-vista-handle-4-gb.html

Apparently for 4 GB you need 64bit verison of Vista (or maybe WInXP 64bit)

Still, everything above 2GB is OK for me.

Paulie

Anonymous said...

Hugo
Does it run Microsoft Touch Pack?
Antony

Anonymous said...

Hugo,

I performed a 4gb upgrade on my Fujitsu T4215 but Vista only recognized 3gb. Subsequently I read an article stating that 32bit Vista can only recognize 3gb.

I would be interested to hear if your Tablet Kiosk device acts differently.

newst

Anonymous said...

But why?

Are you running an OS on that beast that supports 4Gb?

Hugo Gaston Ortega said...

Hi Michael,

Regrettably on the first boot up I was met with 3GB out of the 4GB. It is a shame but Windows can only see this much, So I took out one of my new 2GB sticks and popped in a 1GB stick. So now Windows sees what it has, Instead of seeing only what it wants.

Still...3GB in a slate can't bee bad! LOL *evil laugh*

Helen said...

Where is the small battery that needs to be changed out after 3 years? Supposedly, it has to be sent in for the company to change it.