I have been using Fujitsu Tablet PCs as my “main machine” for some time. To name just a few, I've owned a T4010 which lead to T4210, T2010, T2020, T4020, T5010 and now T900! So out of all the Tablets I own, and Ultra Mobile PC, I still come back to the Fujitsus as my preferred primary device. The main reason is build quality!
Recently the T900 was announced in Australia and to my distaste I was told that there would not be an embedded 3G SKU in the line-up. This caused me to crack out the screwdriver and hit Google for answers. But with no-one in the world posting anything about embedding 3G inside the T900 (or T5010 - mentioned here as they use the same motherboard inside) I felt duty called!
So here it is:
- Open the pack plate on the Fujitsu T5010/T900 and (with the front of the machine oriented to you) look for the top left corner of the unit. You are looking for an elongated bit of PCB.
- Unscrew the two black screws which hold down the host-PCB and remove it. (FUJITUSU PART #CP378152-XX)
- Now place your new PCB (FUJITUSU PART #CP378152-XX) back in the computer (ensuring the power connector is orientated properly). Place back the 2x black screws
- Now insert your modem of choice (Architecture: mini-PCI Express)
- Connect the black antenna to U.FL connector labbeled "main" and RED to AUX connector on modem.
- Insert a SIM card.
- Close the machine up
- Install the appropriate firmware/driver for your card
Here are some images to assist:
Hole where the PCB will be removed from, and added to.
NB. The two antennas on the right are to plug into the modem as per instructions above.
The long white connector is the power connector used to power the PCB.
TOP: new PCB with SIM slot inside
BOTTOM: non-3G PCB with no SIM slot!
NB. The white connector on the left is for power
and is obviously found on both PCBs
TOP: rear view of SIM slot and full view of mini-PCI express slot
BOTTOM: no mini-PCI express slot or SIM slot! (SAD LITTLE bit of PCB!)
An example of two modems you might use:
I hope this helps at least one person out there. It changed my life radically having 3G embedded in my Tablets; so much so that I would never buy a device without it!